1. Look for a variety of finishes - the contrast in texture will add more depth to your makeup look, thus making your palette more versatile. All-shimmer assortments can be pretty to look at but often lack in functionality.
2. Look for a range in shades from light to dark - when it's easier to see which colors will be your highlight shade, crease shade, etc., it makes creating your look a million times easier. You'll have everything you need to create a look without dipping into the rest of your makeup.
3. A nice blending shade is always a great asset to any palette because it pulls your entire look together.
4. Beware of limited edition palettes. There are definitely some great ones out there, but in my experience they can tend to be lower-quality products in fancy packaging.
* For more details on my tips for picking the perfect palette, check out the video below!